After a lot of delays this spring I’m again working on the sail. I’ve decided, due to time constraints, to once again follow David’s footsteps and settle for a flat sail with hinges for now. It should be trivial to upgrade it to a wing sail at a later point, simply by replacing the front battens with noses and adding some extra canvas. I bought a lathe and have it setup in my garage, along with the sewing machine. The garage has an oil pit, which should be very beneficial when sewing. More on that later.
I did a “stress test”, to see how much force I had to apply until the hinge broke.
It was a decent amount of force that was needed, but I still decided to reinforce them with epoxy & GRP. Would’ve been more optimal to use either PVC or something like white oak, but due to time restraints (because of procrastination, among other things) I’ll have to settle for this. The wood used is scots pine.
I hoped you would build a wing sail so I could use your expérience to build mine 😉
Good luck for your nex sail !